Starting with version 19.06, FlashGrid cluster uses Grid Infrastructure (GI) version 19c (also known as 184.108.40.206) by default. While technically it is possible to use preivous GI versions 220.127.116.11 or 18c (a.k.a. 18.104.22.168), use of GI 19c is strongly recommended even if Database version is 22.214.171.124 or 18c.
Reasons why GI 19c is recommended:
- GI 19c is fully compatible with Database versions 19c, 18c, 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206
- 19c is a long term support version, so you can confidently stay on it for many years, and avoid need for upgrading GI when support expires
- end of support for 19c is 2024-04-30 (no extended support) / 2027-04-30 (with extended support) as of 2020-08-08.
- end of support for 18c is 2021-06-08, no extended support available.
- end of support for 220.127.116.11 is 2020-11-30 / 2022-03-31 (limited error correction), no extended support available.
- See Oracle Doc ID 742060.1 or https://support.oracle.com/knowledge/Oracle%20Cloud/742060_1.html for more details.
- Important bug fixes in ASM, ADVM and ACFS.
- New features for Zero-Downtime patching and upgrade. https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/19/cwadd/rapid-home-provisioning.html#GUID-A40643A4-9ADA-4F35-87B6-967BC24363FF
- Security Improvement (TLS on the interconnect). https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/19/cwlin/release-changes.html#GUID-17ED57D3-613E-4F5D-9B4C-001939CAA631
- GIMR can be disabled (GIMR database consumes storage, memory, and compute resources and also creates undesirable dependencies during patching)
- No need to upgrade GI when/if you need to upgrade DB
- Using the default configuration allows better support experience
Note that installing the latest GI Release Update is recommended, but is not strictly required.